Hello, it looks like you are using an out of date browser. For the best experience, please consider upgrading to Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, or Firefox

With savings across our entire range, it’s time to accelerate your plans and get started on making your shed dreams a reality. Race to get a quote today and beat the EOFY rush!

News - News

Becoming an owner builder in NSW

Planning on buying a steel building kit from the team at Wide Span Sheds and considering erecting it yourself? To be an owner builder in New South Wales, you will need to apply for a permit from the NSW Department of Fair Trading. 

What is an Owner Builder?

An owner builder is any individual who does any work (both supervised and co-ordinated) on their shed or garage. (The term is more broadly used, but in this blog we are referring only to steel sheds), and where the labour and materials exceed $5,000. Please visit Fair Trading NSW’s website more a more in-depth definition. 

What is required to become an Owner Builder?

If you want to be an owner builder, you are required to obtain an owner-builder permit, to do this; you must lodge it in person at a Fair Trading Centre in NSW. 

You can check if you are eligible and download the application by clicking here

When lodging your form, you will also be required to attach copies of: 

  • Development Consent
  • Certificate in Owner Builder Compliance 91509NSW 

If this permit is approved, it will only cover the scope of this project, it is not a building licence. Electrical and plumbing work needs to be conducted by certified tradesmen. 

Additional Council Approvals Required

In addition to an owner builder permit, applicants may also need to be obtained for a Development Consent or Complying Development Certificate and Construction Approval. 

If you were an owner builder on a steel kit home, and you decide to sell your property within six years of completion, then you may be required to take out home warranty insurance – though conditions do apply, and you are best to contact Fair Trading New South Wales.

Request a quote

Please provide as much information as you can so we can assign the correct specialist in our team to help you out.

Step 01 - Your details Step 02 - Your shed

Submit this quote request, and we'll send you occasional updates and offers. You can unsubscribe anytime if you'd like.

Our Wide Span legends

View All

Meet Shinji - surfer and shed owner!

Shinji, an avid surfer living in Norther NSW, needed a new workshop for his small business shaping surfboards. The result from Wide Span Sheds was in his words "a dream come true."

Watch Story

The Eagles Nest - Troy's West Coast Eagles shed

There are footy fans and there are footy fanatics. We reckon Troy wouldn't mind being labeled as the latter. When you see what he's done with his Wide Span Shed, you'll understand why.

Watch Story

Meet John - the third generation Aussie dairy farmer

Meet John – a third-generation Australian dairy farmer who cares for the legacy of those who came before him and who wants the best for the next generations of Aussie farmers.

Watch Story